+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The word "Skank"

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default The word "Skank"

Skank is slang and a pejorative term used in the Western World to describe a person, usually female, who is either sexually promiscuous in a tasteless manner or behaves in a way which others perceive to be such. [1][2] The term "Skank" differs from that of "Slut" in that whereas the latter implies only sexual promiscuity, the former also implies poor taste, personally degrading behaviour and low socioeconomic class. Also used as slang for lower class female that is dirty or not presenting herself well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skank

-- Your humble narrator was recently called this Yet, I meet none of the definitions. I see the word "slut" as one that can be reclaimed. "Skank" appears to be pejorative on about 7 levels. --

Does this word evoke only the wikipedia definition or are there additional factors that may be at play?

Does the use of this word not invariably degrade female sexuality even when aimed at a male?

Would you fire back if called this word? I did. I have never been called anything similar. I found it funny to be called such, but I just can't help but thinking the very use of this word can aim only in one direction.

Skanks: What are they?

(I am being playful with this thread, but I honestly do wonder if this is simply the "slut" now being aimed at lower socioeconomic classed and mostly at females) I am none of these. When I used the word as tit for tat, it did seem degrading to even use on some level)

OEC

Default Re: The word "Skank"

Skank/Slut etc are used playfully alot now. If you wanna be real mean use these

Trashy Whore. Filthy Gutter Slut and Stupid Cunt.

If I was a woman and someone called me skank I'd probably laugh. Slut is a bit more anger-inducing, especially if said around peers. The three I posted up there are harsh and venomous and would provoke a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Skank/Slut etc are used playfully alot now. If you wanna be real mean use these

Trashy Whore. Filthy Gutter Slut and Stupid Cunt.

If I was a woman and someone called me skank I'd probably laugh. Slut is a bit more anger-inducing, especially if said around peers. The three I posted up there are harsh and venomous and would provoke a response.
    So skank is basically neutralized. I just fired back with same. I wouldn't even just call someone that unless they fired first. It was pretty funny, I had never heard it before in reference to me (Ive been called everything under the sun) Agree on 1st and 3rd. 2nd Could be reclaimed as "punk rock" though.

OEC

I think that insults are moving more away from morality based towards intelligence/sense of style.

You call someone a bastard/mother fucker/skank etc..all moralaity based insults..and no one bats an eyelash.

Start calling people Fucking Morons, Mental Retards, Piece of Trash, Filth, etc and it provokes a much angrier response.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    I think that insults are moving more away from morality based towards intelligence/sense of style.

You call someone a bastard/mother fucker/skank etc..all moralaity based insults..and no one bats an eyelash.

Start calling people Fucking Morons, Mental Retards, Piece of Trash, Filth, etc and it provokes a much angrier response.
    I've noticed that. Personally, I would laugh those off. They do seem to be the insults de jure though. I think it is even shifting from "intelligence" to strictly style of late.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I haven't ever heard the term used to describe a poor person, that's fucked up.

the way that it is generally used is interchangable with the word "slut", but whereas "slut" refers to the actions of said person, "skank" refers to someone that portrays or gives the impression that they portray themselves in such a way as to make people think that they are a "slut".

personally, myself and the people that I know don't use it to refer to woman or really anyone in relevence to sexuality at all. It's more like the ambigious meaning of the word "whore" in contemporary usage - that is, not neccesarily implying sexual conotations, but meaning a person that shames or degrades themself for the purposes of some aim that is shallow or objectionable in comparison to what they are giving up for it. To be honest the people that I usualy use the word "skank" to refer to are police officers.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

call them a blowjob... you cant think of a comeback for that one, its impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I haven't ever heard the term used to describe a poor person, that's fucked up.

the way that it is generally used is interchangable with the word "slut", but whereas "slut" refers to the actions of said person, "skank" refers to someone that portrays or gives the impression that they portray themselves in such a way as to make people think that they are a "slut".

personally, myself and the people that I know don't use it to refer to woman or really anyone in relevence to sexuality at all. It's more like the ambigious meaning of the word "whore" in contemporary usage - that is, not neccesarily implying sexual conotations, but meaning a person that shames or degrades themself for the purposes of some aim that is shallow or objectionable in comparison to what they are giving up for it. To be honest the people that I usualy use the word "skank" to refer to are police officers.
    Police Officers as skanks I've never heard that one. The context I saw "skank" used in was slightly different than what u mention but I see what u mean.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    call them a blowjob... you cant think of a comeback for that one, its impossible!
    You would have to call them a bad blowjob though to avoid it being a pleasant missive. I don't want to call anyone anything. You know you fucked-up somewhere when u find yourself doing so with someone in your personal life.

OEC

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

aww i thought this was gona be a Ska thread

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well yeah, i neglected to mention that because I take it for granted that everyone isn't yelling "pick it up! pick it up! pick it up!"

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

i skank to skanking pickle, and bowling for toasters

Skankin' Pickle? haha those guys still around?

OEC

shiki's Avatar nappy headed ho

to me a skank isn't necessarily a slut, but if she is a slut she is a dirty slut. To me a skank is a lowdown dirty bitch...much like the term chicken head...promiscuity and dirty ways. but its not so much the promiscuity as much as the dirty ways.

Quote Originally Posted by shiki
    to me a skank isn't necessarily a slut, but if she is a slut she is a dirty slut. To me a skank is a lowdown dirty bitch...much like the term chicken head...promiscuity and dirty ways. but its not so much the promiscuity as much as the dirty ways.
    You use the term chickenhead for that? It meant imbecile when I was groeing up ie brain of a chicken. Dirty ways .... like they cheat etc in a monogamous relationship?

OEC

You guys are odd. I've never even heard the word ChickenHead! Skank I find humorous - I've been called a man-whore and man-slut (though I'm not sure why they feel the need to clarify that I'm a male when using those terms. I thought it would have been pretty obvious!). If someone called me as a guy a skank I'd probably do something like curtsy them and see what happens!

I don't know many people that have ever retorted to being called a skank, slut, whore or other derogatory term but that's because most of my friends can pull something wittier in response.

Blowjob is an awesome response! Reminds me of a mate, Brooke - a guy asked for her phone number after 2 seconds without asking her name first - she responded with "Why? So you can call me later maybe and I'll suck you off? How about you dropped to your knees and prove its worth me doing it first..." He wasn't quite sure what to do and ended up apologising (?!) before leaving sheepishly.

Using an adjective such as "filthy, dirty" as you've all mentioned I believe is the only way to really create an insult from these "promiscuous" terms. When it comes down to it, most people I'm sure don't care that people ARE being promiscuous but more so that they're spreading some sort of disease, or simply being untactful.

I'm a little surprised to learn that Skank is specifically lower-class. It's good to know!

I like "whore-slut" now I think about it...

shiki's Avatar nappy headed ho

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    You use the term chickenhead for that? It meant imbecile when I was groeing up ie brain of a chicken. Dirty ways .... like they cheat etc in a monogamous relationship?

OEC
    dirty ways such as a girl who will try to sleep with your boyfriend...or just stab you in the back if she can find a way to do so...

and nowadays chicken head can mean someone who is stupid, but it also refers to chicks who's heads bob up and down on cock all day like a chicken bobs its head...cock gobblers

Quote Originally Posted by shiki
    dirty ways such as a girl who will try to sleep with your boyfriend...or just stab you in the back if she can find a way to do so...

and nowadays chicken head can mean someone who is stupid, but it also refers to chicks who's heads bob up and down on cock all day like a chicken bobs its head...cock gobblers
    Wooo, that's awesome. The chicken head thing would be pretty sly used down here, like one of those terms you say to someone with your mates around. Everyone laughs, they laugh, they're getting alot of shit!

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Would you fire back if called this word? I

Of course. I enjoy creative name calling that leave people kind of blinking at me. Some of my favorites: But you have to say them deadpan.

Cockbite
    Stop talking, my IQ can't take it.
    Do I fucking know you?
    Shh, you'll ruin it.
    Yes, yes I am a (insert whatever name here).
    I am? Oh GOD I AM. (Then you get to yell)
    Don't make me shit in your shoe.
    You sir are no Beyonce.

As you can tell I'm kind of a fan of the Non sequitur.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    Would you fire back if called this word? I

Of course. I enjoy creative name calling that leave people kind of blinking at me. Some of my favorites: But you have to say them deadpan.

Cockbite
    Stop talking, my IQ can't take it.
    Do I fucking know you?
    Shh, you'll ruin it.
    Yes, yes I am a (insert whatever name here).
    I am? Oh GOD I AM. (Then you get to yell)
    Don't make me shit in your shoe.
    You sir are no Beyonce.

As you can tell I'm kind of a fan of the Non sequitur.
    haha I waited a few months to reply. I used the word in 6 contexts in various degrees of abstraction. It basically came out to calling the person a "corporate skank" with a bit of sexuality thrown in. I called it drunken monkey rhetoric. It is non sequitir but comes out of nowhere and in a different context.

OEC

OT: I seriously hope noone ever stresses on the US Corp. I am past my contractual agreement on this connection and will not have to pay another dime. Their errors are recorded via your "customer service" call. Dictate your terms to them, it works more than u may imagine.

yuup that skank was fallin faster than a 2 dollar crack whore drunk on md 20/20

but the slut was the party fav ,,, win win .....opps i see a,clinic for VD in your future...boo a lose lose ,and all your pubic hair falls out! wow 1 i got VD for free>slut,,the other i payed for >whore,, drunk n bitter so blow me ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

for free i hope

+ Reply to Thread