+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brutal movies

Clifton_Fury's Avatar Member

Default Brutal movies

Sorry if this is a little basic and might have already been a thread, but what is the most brutal movie you've ever seen? mine would have to be Ichi the Killer, a Japanese film featuring blood, guts, guns and extreme violence. I saw Oldboy yesterday too. Its great, but more of a thriller than a gorefest. As far as western movies go, Evil Dead cant be beat, the interplay between the gore and humour takes away a lot of the horror factor. Day of the dead is probably the sickest... The realism of the make up is genuinely unsettling... hehe, spot the film geek?

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Brutal movies

Being a girlie girl, I haven't seen TOO much gore, but I thought The Night Of The Living Dead was pretty gorry, but in a funny way!!!

Hard Boiled... gun fu at it's best...

...I am a total kung fu movie fanatic... (I've just spent the last week reading translations of some of the novels that some of my favorite kung fu movies were based on... which you can find at the BRILLIANT wuxiapedia.com... man I love that site.)

that being said, a movie doesn't have to be ultra-bloody/graphic to make me happy... the action just has to be really well done... I'm a huge Jet Li fan... that guy's like the motzart of kung fu movies... (especially when he's with yuen woo ping, the greatest fight choreographer of all time... yeah, yeah, he did the fight scenes for the matrix... and I hope they paid him the big bucks for those... nothing compared to his asian movies...)

problem is I'm a bit of an action snob... if the action isn't up to snuff then I don't care...

...an Ultra-Violent Kung Fu movie from my collection... 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, starring Gordon "The Master Killer" Liu... good, and brutal...

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Tromeo and Juliet (well any troma film)

I agree ichi is a pretty good choice

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Cannibal Holocaust is a favorite of mine.

Spaceman Spiff's Avatar a boy and his tiger

Not sure if its what you were thinking, but Reservoir Dogs comes to mind. Then again I don't recall seeing too many really brutal movies.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Come and See...has no equal and never will.

house of 1000 corpses was good, but still want to see the devils rejects for a sequel
    Last edited by Vitorro; 10-18-2005 at 11:07 PM. Reason: add to

resevoir dogs=city on fire by ringo lam I believe.

house of 1000 corpse... EVERYONE DIED OF BOREDOM!!!

...The Hunted... black-ops govt. assassin becomes a vegan spoutin' serial killer, guts, and quaters hunters... a bit light on the gore, but the violence was decent... (i'd love to sic that guy on the killer hillbilly contingent... I give the inbreds 15 mins to survive tops...)

also "The French Connection"... I don't remember how violent the movie was, but I do remember that Popeye Doyle was a muthafuckin' hardass...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

resevoir dogs=city on fire by ringo lam I believe.

Yes and no. While the controversy rose high one needs to keep in mind that the "stolen" shots and plot...are nothing that matters. The plot was basic stuff that's been in pulp crime novels for decades. Neither director was striking new ground. The shots too were nothing that's never been seen before and to call them a swipe is nothing too bad given that film is filled with moments like that.

I'm a fan of both films and directors and what makes each of them different is in how they are executed. Ringo Lam did it well by keeping his style and flair in the film....Tarantino hit it out of the park with the characters, dialogue, and numerous additions to the "color" of the film while keeping the plot as core not a focus.

If one wants to play the Film Threat like uber-film geek witch hunt well then any film can be ripped apart...especially every HK classic and even the films THOSE were lifted from...so when it comes to film nothing "=" much of anything if the execution is well done.

Take the famous ride of the valkyrie scene from Apocalypse Now...if you know the film that was "inspired" by then you'll see that taking the mexican stand-off shot from City on Fire is nothing to discredit an entire film for.

I remember the controversy and the screenings to "prove" Reservoir Dogs was "a rip off"...all of it conducted by raving lunatics who still spew the same crap to this day about every film under the sun and get off on knowing they've seen more movies than even the people who make them...all the while ignoring that if you see enough of any artform you'll find connections even when they aren't really there.

Originality means far more than presenting something no one has ever seen before.

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

Flowers of Flesh and Blood. Look it up.
    Broken's amusing, too.

Oh, and any of the cardiology videos I've watched, or the various butcher's training courses. Come on, there's a reason I'm Skintwisterman.

TZ- I agree with you to a point. Quimtron Tarintino is a very funny writer of comedy, so his characters, and dialouge are always amusing. the man has NO eye for action however... those Kill Bill movies actually made me want to quit watching movies. his hype machine doesn't help either. I'm not making a screaming denunciation about the guy. he's just unoriginal, and can't direct an action sequence... he'd make a hell of a sitcom writer, if he could give up his pretentions of being a badass though... motherfucker!

another one just occured to me 'The Blade' by Tsui Hark... almost psychedelic in it's incoherence, this movie is an homage to the old school 'one armed swordsman' kung fu movies... tony leung gets his arm ripped off by about 7 bear traps, and then goes beserk learning how to be a one armed swordsman... in the end he has to face Xin Xin Bao who has got to be one of the most bad ass kung fu villians of all time... "I am paid to slaughter pigs... and today YOU are pigs! ahahahahaha"

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Are you talking gore, or disturbing brutality?

Because yes, zombie movies, and other horror movies are often really gory.

But in my mind, something like Reservoir Dogs is much more "brutal".

There's a *really* gross scene in "Wild at Heart" at the end, with Steve Buscemi
    and a shotgun...

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

[QUOTE=TheDeathKnight]
    But in my mind, something like Reservoir Dogs is much more "brutal".
    QUOTE]

that's the way i see it aswell....

take the curb stomp scene from American H. X....comes to mind...

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    that's the way i see it aswell....
    Seconded .. Butch and Marcalis Wallis in the basement with Zed and friend. Thats what I call brutal.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

has anyone seen "monster man"?? i just watched it on tv... its got some pretty good gore...well... its totally fake, but... you know if they did it today with more than an almost B movie budget... it would probably make me throw up. honestly.
    as for brutal... its... almost brutally funny in a really sick twisted way... the very last thing anyone says in the movie is when the ending credits are rolling... "[lying in two pieces on the floor] The end? This can't be the end! I was gonna fuck my sister! Now what am I gonna do? This sucks!"
    yeah... watch it, if you dare.
    i for one loved it.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

oooh... also just saw a commercial for "saw 2"... first one... omg *drool* freaking loved it.
    i love movies that are sick and twisted like that... where some fucked up person finds new and fabulous ways to torment and kill people, while psychologically fucking them up as much as possible in the process, just in case they survive, their mind wont have a chance to survive hehe... i just love it!

I Spit on your Grave...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blairmonster
    I Spit on your Grave...
    I remember that movie it was pretty good

But like I've said before the x-rated version of Caligula is about everything a brain can take

+ Reply to Thread