+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nostalgia

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Default Nostalgia

What takes you back?

Yesterday I picked up an import disc with a bunch of old soul music on it and as I've been listening to it I get taken back.

This music always reminds me of summers spent with my Great Grandmother (R.I.P Grangran) in Texas when I was little. During what was supposed to be siesta time we'd dress up in her clothes, put make up on and dance around singing into popsicles. She'd tell me stories about when she owned a bar, taught me how to dance.

To this day I can't hear songs like 'Knock on Wood', or 'Hold On I'm Comin' without wanting to get up and dance.

What takes you back? Share cause I'm nosy.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Nostalgia

man,you name it....

my life is Nostalgia ...

Club jackets...

shitty Pomps

White walls

ac/dc(haha)

zz top

George Thorogood & the Destroyers(haha,yea,yea)

hell just about every thing that makes me happy takes me back...

ohh,shit.....

add to that,My mom's old biker jacket,hahah....she gave it to me last time i saw her...

that things so old,and it's in most of my few memorys of early childhood..

i wanna glass frame it,haha...

gub'ment cheez

gub'ment peanut butter (from the carter admin.)

new wave music

'bug juice' (grape generic 'kool aid')

my hands around some kids throat

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Apparently, the Narnia trailer.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Segrams and Pepsi... my grandfather drank that everyday

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

I don't think I'm on topic. But... I started out trying to write this the right way. But so much of what I miss feels like nostalgia. always thinking back.

I miss scotch.

That harsh feeling of a sweet, golden-syrup cough rippling down the throat. That twists of intoxication and the warmth all through your neck and head. The laugh swallowed and stuck in the throat like a fatal Christmas penny.

God damn, sometimes I do miss drink. But I'll never go back. I've made promises to myself and others, and I intend to keep them.

I miss my exes. From Emily, the Alabama girl who I first loved, who I was-- in my opinion-- a bad boyfriend to, to Jade, the abusive one who broke my heart and my mind. Bitch.

Yeah, even Jade. Perhaps just because of that one night. The one when it all came together. Shit, that will probably stick there like a blood clot in the heart for a good, long time.

I can't walk past my Nan's old house with my head up. I miss her so goddamn much it's silly.

Would you believe I miss my dog the most. Laddie, my brother almost, the dog I went through my childhood with-- in many ways, my childhood friend.

Died a year into suffering from his gammy leg after finally having the goddamn amputation.

I miss my parents trusting me. One to many midnight phone calls, one to many £90 phone bills, one to many terms in college. I know I've bungled it all up with them in many ways. But it's true-- I'm not the most trustworthy fucker on the planet.

I miss my health. Before I went anorexic, I could run excellently. It's been six years and I still haven't trained myself anywhere near close to where I was. Sure, I can do fifty press-ups now, but I still can't run the 1,500 metres.

I miss a lot of things. I regret a lot more.

Memory is hell.

when ever I smell wood burning I go back to when I was little at my granny & pawpaws house...They had a woodburning stove to heat the house and at night we would sit and listen to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio till it was time to go to bed....

I always slept in the living room where the stove was and when it got quiet enough at night you could hear the wood burning and poping in the cast iron stove....That poping noise was mezmerizing made it really easy to go to sleep...

Mostly they burned Oak..and the smell from it was great...

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Those pink peppermint candies, the sight and smell of them always reminds me of my Grandfather. He was a hell of a man, and he never was without those little mints.

Every year since I was ..oh forever ago, I re-read The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. It makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    Every year since I was ..oh forever ago, I re-read The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. It makes me happy.

you know i watched "the grinch stole cristmas" every single eve,or c-day....for like 15 years,haha...

that shit would take me back,right back to like young childhood.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

During all those Arthur Rankin & Jules Bass Christmas specials, as well as the Charlie Brown specials. Does anyone remember all those Dolly Madison commercials. Man.. I would kill for a chocolate Zinger !!

Spaceman Spiff's Avatar a boy and his tiger

Slightly related:
    I was just watching the third round of I love the 80's...the crack equivalent of VH1's program list...and I have poor memory skills, so everything they bring up I'm like "Oh man, I forgot about that". So its like KK said, everything takes me back: music, commercials, toys, etc. ...I just need someone else to reminde me about it first

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

I miss cartoon shows that assumed their viewers had a brain.

Batman: The Animated Series, Spiderman and X-Men, Gargoyles, ReBoot, Rocko's Modern Life, The motherfuggin' Maxx, The Head, Earthworm Jim... all awesome cartoons, kiddieish to a point but refusing to treat kids like they don't know anything at all.

I miss Saturday morning cartoons. I wanted to be Storm when I grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbilical Lotus
    I miss cartoon shows that assumed their viewers had a brain.

man,...i'm not even exxagerating...i know nearly every bugsbunny,daffy,hell all the looney tunes...by heart...

i know every Tom & jerry by heart too...

and this has all been put to testin some form,haha
    i can't even turn on cartoon network without wanting to throw-up...unless it's adult swim...

both Killerkat and Lotus have a point on cartoons nowadays, which is why I am glad I have boomerang network, which shows the old ones, Yogi, flintstones and such, but I miss the days of being able to go out and play in the yard without someone having a fit about the kids being too noisey and such. Trick or treating without worry about who put what into the apple and candies.. when you could trust a priest with kids at church,

[QUOTE=Vitorro]both Killerkat and Lotus have a point on cartoons nowadays, which is why I am glad I have boomerang network, which shows the old ones, Yogi, flintstones and such, QUOTE]

what is this? as much as i might feel alittle funny watching them again...it hurt me to see htem pay them ,less and less...

i've been meaning to start recording them for years...

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

The smell of cammomile, i used to camp at a place called Cedardale every summer since i was born and there was pond there where tons of cammomile grew, thats all u could smell at the back of the park near the pind.

same with karate chop (popsicle things), grandma always kept them at the trailer and twizzlers too.

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    i've been meaning to start recording them for years...
    Same. I never get around to it, and now because I don't really watch television anymore I'm extremely clueless.

There are DVDs and bittorrent, but it's not the same. I remember when I was a kid going through this crazy OCD perfectionist afternoon because the Secret of Nimh was on TV and I had to record every second of it perfectly without commercials. I worked for my illegal movie

And what I miss most about being a kid was being able to be ridiculous and adventurous without any fear. I was a social corpse as a kid, but I turned that to my advantage and turned into this city-crawling burrowing dungeon-finding kid-worm who ran around everywhere and knew all the hiding spaces and cool locations. I had all the area around my schools mapped out, and would gain brief popularity by being able to sneak other kids off school property. I found every ravine, every inner-city surprise foresty area, knew what houses around the school had a shed or basement with a broken window that no one got into, knew how to climb the Spiky Death Fence and get into the graveyard, et cetera. If I tried ANY of that now I would be mangled in several different fashions if the sheer power of my shame didn't knock me down first. I miss being able to scale a building with my butt.

+ Reply to Thread