+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carpal Tunnel

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Carpal Tunnel

I think I'm getting some slight carpal tunnel in my right wrist. I'm on the comp for about 5-8 hours every day. Other than cutting down on the comp... what are some suggestions you have?

Default Re: Carpal Tunnel

That really stinks. I'm sorry to hear that. My husband has it, but it hasn't been bothering him as much since he changed jobs. My mom has it too, she had the surgery and ended up losing her job behind it. There are some ergonomic keyboards that you can get that really help ease the strain on your wrists. My husband got one on ebay for $50 that splits in the middle and actually flips up so that his wrists are in a more comfortable position. He also takes the shark cartilage and some other supplements (I will ask him when I see him tonight which ones). And then he also used to wear wrist braces at night when he was sleeping. I hope this is helpful. I would llike to hear anyone else's suggestions also.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I'm on my PC for what feels like years on end...best thing to do is get one of those ergonomicaly designed keryboards and a trackball mouse. The standard keyboards are WAY too harsh on the hands...I have an MS "Natural" one that since I've had it has made my wrist pain go away...I refuse to work without it.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i just know how to stretch and position my hands and wrists correctly its something i learned how to do while learning guitar and it comes naturally to me i guess.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    I think I'm getting some slight carpal tunnel in my right wrist. I'm on the comp for about 5-8 hours every day. Other than cutting down on the comp... what are some suggestions you have?
    my mom had carpol tunnel in both hands. she had surgery on one and now how severe nerve damage.

i have a page of exercises that r supposed to strengthen ur wrist and ease the pain, if i can find i'll post em.

Okay, I just talked to hunny bunny and he says:

1. Move your mouse (trac ball) to the left side, get used to using it there. This will take some of the pressure off of your right wrist. (your right wrist does double duty because you use it to run the mouse, ten key, enter, ? etc.)

2. Get an ergonomically designed keyboard and the gelee pads that go around to support your wrists.

3. Take a supplement called "colostrum." It comes from cows. He says while all the supplements helped, dollar for dollar, this one's the best. You can get this at most any health food store, but it can be kind of pricey. We've had good luck getting it on ebay for fairly cheap. He said he has also taken Glucosamine, MSM, SAM-e, and shark cartilage.

4. get a good quality wrist support and wear it.

5. When it got bad he also got these chinese herbal plaster patches that stick on--www.morningstarhealth.com/store/Medicated_Plasters.html

Avoid the operation if at all possible!!!!

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you so much! 'Specially you curiosity. I've had these wrist support things the gel kind, so your hand is at level with the keyboard, and the kind for your mouse. It'll take some getting used to with the mouse. But I'll get used to it. I'll switch it so that its left handed. Once again, thanks so much!

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by curiositykilledthecat
    Avoid the operation if at all possible!!!!

definately, thats what screwed my mom up so bad, and y shes havin so much trouble with workman's comp.

Its harder than it seems to be left handed with the mouse then I thought it would be.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

why cant you just get of the computer? i know you wanted other sugestions but if something is affecting your health the best way is to get rid of it, or at least use it less. unless your job is to sit in front of the computer theres no need to be on that long.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

you should search for diagrams on proper sittingand ergonomics... it makes a big difference. i sat the wrong way on my computer and a cyst formed deep in my wrist(normally they are on the surface)
    it was mis diagnosed as tendonitis for about 4 years... they just said deal with it... ice ibuprofferen and a wrist brace when you sleep to prevent sleeping on it in a wrong position.
    after i couldn't deal with it any longer (4 years of heavy weight lifting and such) i went back and talked to a different doctor and i got an mri to discover the cyst...he performed the surgery which afterwards he informed me included removing ALOT OF SCARE tissue from about one inch below my wrist all the way up the back of my hand to my knuckles... i still can't do a regular push up but i am getting there... its going to take more then a couple months of physical therapy after surgery to reverse 4 years of "dealing"

tips:
    1)try to relax your wrists while your type..
    2)if your wrists are in proper position on a wrist pad(elevated) then the tabs on the backof the keyboard should be flat....
    3)at least every hour you should stand up stretch touch your toes , stretch your wrists...

the ibuprofferen and even ice at the end of a longwork day wouldn't hurt...
    as for the joint health supplements... flax seed oil (high source of omega 3's)is really good to take not only does it help with a myriad of other items but naturally helps prevent inflamation and supports tendons and joints ect...

the also have a bunch of the joint support formulas that contain 2-3 ingredients that aid joint health... i forget what they are but i know they are not just hype they really do strengthen your joints though constant use for a month or so is needed before you will see any real results...

yoga is amazing as well... alligning and relaxing the whole body will help keep things good... its amazing how messed up your body getts from sitting in a chair for hours a day

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    why cant you just get of the computer? i know you wanted other sugestions but if something is affecting your health the best way is to get rid of it, or at least use it less. unless your job is to sit in front of the computer theres no need to be on that long.
    I'm addicted to this son of a bitch. I seriously get some internet withdrawl, if I'm not on it for a couple of days. Its insane. I've not been as active as of late, I'm sure you can tell, which has been my attempt to lower the time i'm on the computer.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Ive got that and RA both pretty damn bad... dont let it get worse, its worth taking care of your hands pre-emptively.

Haha, when I tell people I have it in my right wrist, but not my other... well lets just say people can assume things. It's made for some interesting conversations. haha. Anyways, I've gotten some wrist pads, and am looking for the "natural" keyboard from M.Soft. I've found some at goodwill, but I'm not sure if I can download the drivers online. So I didn't buy.

+ Reply to Thread