+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gambling Sites Get Bent Over But Could Do Without the KY

Default Gambling Sites Get Bent Over But Could Do Without the KY

So apparently the great state of Kentucky wants to get into the gambling biz. Times are tough all over and I totally understand being open to new opportunities in these difficult economic times. Adult trade journal
    Read the full article

Default Re: Gambling Sites Get Bent Over But Could Do Without the KY

That's kind of really, sort of, completely fucked up.

Seizing domain names?

Bad, bad precedent.

Organize a boycott of all things Kentuckian dammit. They've got to export something. (Other than weed.)

Fuck.

Bourbon?

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

Fried chicken?

Old colonels?

Grass?

Our Elven Prionnsa

This domain seizure thing is really creepy. I can see State governments seizing property that is held in state: land, buildings, assets--but domain names don't have a physical locality. I suppose that they're using some sort of precedent: you are registered in this state, therefore we can take your stuff even if it's not in the state.

Did they claim Imminent Domain or something?

Also, I find it extremely and chillingly dubious in that it means the state can get into some sort of industry then use its massive power to intimidate, steal from, and otherwise set aside other groups already operating there. This isn't just unfair, it's outright stupid and immoral on the side of the state.

Try to compete instead, a-holes!

Thou do not get cart-blanche to run roughshod over other people in the same industry simple because thou happen to have the gears-of-bureaucracy. If anything is good is going to come from this market then one entity does not deserve some artificial advantage over others.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Amerist
    This domain seizure thing is really creepy. I can see State governments seizing property that is held in state: land, buildings, assets--but domain names don't have a physical locality. I suppose that they're using some sort of precedent: you are registered in this state, therefore we can take your stuff even if it's not in the state.

Did they claim Imminent Domain or something?

Also, I find it extremely and chillingly dubious in that it means the state can get into some sort of industry then use its massive power to intimidate, steal from, and otherwise set aside other groups already operating there. This isn't just unfair, it's outright stupid and immoral on the side of the state.

Try to compete instead, a-holes!

Thou do not get cart-blanche to run roughshod over other people in the same industry simple because thou happen to have the gears-of-bureaucracy. If anything is good is going to come from this market then one entity does not deserve some artificial advantage over others.

There is no legal precedent Kentucky is doing this with. If they succeed, though, the really terrifying thing is that they could set a legal precedent. Then everyone will have to register all their domains overseas.

+ Reply to Thread