+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuck'n Yuppies

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Fuck'n Yuppies

So I found myself flipping off some yuppie cretin in a beamer. She called me some name after we arrived at an impasse in traffic. I couldn't stop laughing at her the whole time. I guess I still hate em.

In Northern Cali, a yuppie was a relatively affluent baby boomer. They were those boomers that did not quite the make grade as "bourgeois bohemians" (read hippie sellouts). It can be associated with liberal politics, but generally they are just lame folks with a bit of coin. After all these years, should I accept these jokers? I'll be going head to head with em in a few years.

I don't think everything about the bobos at least is bad. They made it a hell of a lot easier to be eccentric (if nothing else). They can be nauseating, but the yuppies still take the cake.

OEC

Default Re: Fuck'n Yuppies

I don't think yuppies really existed past the 80's and Reaganomics. I don't get what you would call a yuppie today. Lots of people own BMW products.

Quote Originally Posted by incog
    I don't think yuppies really existed past the 80's and Reaganomics. I don't get what you would call a yuppie today. Lots of people own BMW products.
    It was the 'tude not the car. She was in her 50s, I guess the term "yuppie" is no longer apt given her age I suppose I could call her an "aged" former yuppie.

OEC

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Yuppies still exist.
    They just look like "Real Housewives of Orange County"...
    http://realitytv.about.com/od/realit...Housewives.htm
    Anyone who is rich, or acts rich, and are entirely superficial and materialistic.

The term yuppie was just more specific, because they were supposed to be ex-hippies, who gave up being socially aware, free-thinkers, and became materialistic. Pretty much any hippie that did it as a phase, or just for fun, then went back to being a money-grubbing materialist. I just tend to consider any superficial materialistic person a yuppie. Even if they were never anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Yuppies still exist.
    They just look like "Real Housewives of Orange County"...
    http://realitytv.about.com/od/realit...Housewives.htm
    Anyone who is rich, or acts rich, and are entirely superficial and materialistic.

The term yuppie was just more specific, because they were supposed to be ex-hippies, who gave up being socially aware, free-thinkers, and became materialistic. Pretty much any hippie that did it as a phase, or just for fun, then went back to being a money-grubbing materialist. I just tend to consider any superficial materialistic person a yuppie. Even if they were never anything else...
    That is basically how I use the term. The irony of the literal meaning is amusing to me. The true hippies, to me, became more bourgeois bohemian (still arguably sellouts). Having grown up in the 80s and 90s, I still apply the terms to the generation preceding me. They are just shallow, annoying people. Not all wealthy boomers are like that, however. Just fuck'n yuppies

OEC

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

I fuckin hate the yuppies too. I was bred by yuppies in part but I have sworn never to be affected by their teachings.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

It's odd how some people totally go along with the superficial aspects of society, and other people totally see through it. Same with religion. Some people just believe everything they are told, and other people see it as bullshit. I wonder if it has to do with whether you trust your parents or not. If you trust them, and they are cool, you will probably believe what they teach you, but if you know they are full of shit to begin with, you probably don't believe the things they tell you about life either...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't think there are any real hippies anymore, if they are, then they are bums that live by the train tracks and drink hair spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't think there are any real hippies anymore, if they are, then they are bums that live by the train tracks and drink hair spray.
    There are. I've known quite a few that just started organic farms and dropped out permanently. For the most part, you just have "granolas" tho. Granolas are just younger folks who emulate the lifestyle. God, I'm thinking up a whole bible of subtypes now (cliched as they may be)

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    I fuckin hate the yuppies too. I was bred by yuppies in part but I have sworn never to be affected by their teachings.
    Teachings from Yuppies That would be a funny read

OEC

vulfgrl's Avatar Tainted

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    So I found myself flipping off some yuppie cretin in a beamer. She called me some name after we arrived at an impasse in traffic. I couldn't stop laughing at her the whole time. I guess I still hate em.
    I had a roommate who was proud to be called a yuppie. He called himself that. Had a little 2 seater convertible BMW that he would park in the middle of 2 spaces so nobody could park close to him and dent his car. I always hoped someone would key the stupid thing.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

i dont think we have any yuppies in Hicks. just a wild guess
    i'm sure we had hippies. at one point in time but yeah . . . . no yuppies really

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

it also depends on how you define hippie. to me someone that lives/practices group tactics, that relies on alernative transportation and lifestyles, and is concern abouyt health and the environment isn't a hippie. I'd say that they sound pretty cool, and revolutionary. what I call a hippie is someone that is into fashion, that claims to be about revolution, but just sits on their lazy ass and get's high all day, and just says that they are into "free love" and anti-possesive relationships because they want to get laid without any responsibiilty to there other persons emotional needs. this person might wear different clothes and act the same way and could be called a punk, a goth, hardcore, emo, etc. or maybe even a jock, although in that case they'd probably drop any semblence of even pretending to care about social reform.

Sara X's Avatar lizard breath

dude. give me your yuppies in bimmers and i will give you the scores of rich southern baptists in their bimmers, lexii, bentleys and mercedes. at least the yuppies don't feel that they're better than you AND that you need jesus, which, like their money, is something they posess but you do not. you poor thing.

you will beg for your yuppies back within minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    it also depends on how you define hippie. to me someone that lives/practices group tactics, that relies on alernative transportation and lifestyles, and is concern abouyt health and the environment isn't a hippie. I'd say that they sound pretty cool, and revolutionary. what I call a hippie is someone that is into fashion, that claims to be about revolution, but just sits on their lazy ass and get's high all day, and just says that they are into "free love" and anti-possesive relationships because they want to get laid without any responsibiilty to there other persons emotional needs. this person might wear different clothes and act the same way and could be called a punk, a goth, hardcore, emo, etc. or maybe even a jock, although in that case they'd probably drop any semblence of even pretending to care about social reform.
    So hippie as hypocrite? I think a lot of people in the East Bay would agree with you there. That is usually the connotation I hear it spoken in now. A hedonist with no social conscience (with 60s free love trappings). Of course, that does not take anything away from the actual 60s folks who fought for civil rights, feminism etc.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Sara X
    dude. give me your yuppies in bimmers and i will give you the scores of rich southern baptists in their bimmers, lexii, bentleys and mercedes. at least the yuppies don't feel that they're better than you AND that you need jesus, which, like their money, is something they posess but you do not. you poor thing.

I don't seriously hate them. They are/were simply part of the landscape of any Gen Xer who said "no" at some level. I want the folks in my generation who made it with their creative endeavors (including BB and other IT/IP folks here) to thrive. I want those who denigrate the land, animals, and civil society with their lame materialism to get out of the way. I have never found conservatives to be more or less odious than liberals in most cases. People who feel better or worse than any of us are simply ignorant. The cars they drive just add a bit of amusement to the spectacle.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by vulfgrl
    I had a roommate who was proud to be called a yuppie. He called himself that. Had a little 2 seater convertible BMW that he would park in the middle of 2 spaces so nobody could park close to him and dent his car. I always hoped someone would key the stupid thing.
    I hear you. I think my little bit of rebellion is caused by seeing it at school so much. It is depressing.

OEC

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara X

ahhh southern baptists. i cant believe i have to say i was one for awhile.
    crazy. but true.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

of course when thier drains back up they all treat the plumber like god

+ Reply to Thread