+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did Bert have leukemia?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Did Bert have leukemia?

A long time ago, when I not only didn't have TiVo but didn't have a TV, I was told that Bert from Sesame Street got leukemia a died. The idea being either to teach kids about terminal illness or to torture Ernie. I forget which. I was honestly pretty upset when I heard that. But I've had TV for quite a while now and TiVo now too and I have yet to see an episode with a lonely solo Ernie. Was this just a hoax? Seems like it must have been, but someone here must know one way or the other for sure.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Did Bert have leukemia?

Well the closest I know of a story like that is Sesame Street in Africa having a character with AIDS...never heard of this Bert having Leukemia thing.

Hmm, I guess I've seen the Spanish speaking version. It hadn't occurred to me that maybe it was a non-US version. There was a muppet in Africa with AIDS?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Hmm, I guess I've seen the Spanish speaking version. It hadn't occurred to me that maybe it was a non-US version. There was a muppet in Africa with AIDS?
    Yup. It was to help teach kids about he disease since it's at such dangerous levels and killing off the parents and family of so many kids over there...not to mention many of those same kids are infected as well.

I don't know the details of exactly how the character was used but It caused quite a stir when first announced in non african nations.

Kinda sad that a MUPPET with AIDS got people angry and pissed but not the millions suffering from it on that continent.

countessnichole's Avatar Wicca, Friend, Lover.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Kinda sad that a MUPPET with AIDS got people angry and pissed but not the millions suffering from it on that continent.
    We live in a weird world. Just look at the many AIDS jokes there is. It's like people can care about it one moment and then just parody it the next.

Now all we need is a Cancer muppet and a nympho muppet, a war muppet...

It is true about the muppet having AIDS.And it is upsetting that so little people have sympathy for the babies/kids withs AIDS.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

How did the muppet get AIDs? Did they show him catching it?

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula
    How did the muppet get AIDs? Did they show him catching it?
    Fuck, I woke up with cramps, but now I am never going to sleep again. I am going to lie in bed, staring at the ceiling, and imagining muppets engaged in unsafe behavior.

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

At first I was like "Pfff - a muppet with AIDS, come on now, that's stupid" but then I thought for a second... and realized that the AIDS problem in Africa is really really bad... and then I thought maybe it wasn't such a crazy idea to educate kids about it after all.

koolagh's Avatar Resident Barbarian

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

Wow - I remember that episode, when they explained that Mr Hooper died. Except I was really young and the memory got muddled in with some other thing I was watching on tv that day about an airplane - so for the longest time I was convinced in my brain that Mr Hooper died falling out of an airplane. My mom had to repeatedly explain to me that Mr Hooper did not die falling out of an airplane, lol...

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Fuck, I woke up with cramps, but now I am never going to sleep again. I am going to lie in bed, staring at the ceiling, and imagining muppets engaged in unsafe behavior.

HERE'S some bedtime reading for you.

Dead muppet is hoax - check
    HIV+ muppet is real - check
    That self-centered knob Big Bird would hog all the attention even during a eulogy - check
    I'm not sleeping tonight either - check

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Dead muppet is hoax - check
    HIV+ muppet is real - check
    That self-centered knob Big Bird would hog all the attention even during a eulogy - check
    I'm not sleeping tonight either - check
    Muppets are a bit disturbing to begin with... at least I had always though so (as a child)

But loved The Muppet Show (as an adult)... the ones with guest stars like Alice Cooper, Vincent Price, Twiggy, John Cleese, Elke Sommer, Arlo Guthrie and Debbie Harry are a few that I can remember off the top of my head.

Here's something that might make you sleep better or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by HempKnight
    Muppets are a bit disturbing to begin with... at least I had always though so (as a child)

But loved The Muppet Show (as an adult)... the ones with guest stars like Alice Cooper, Vincent Price, Twiggy, John Cleese, Elke Sommer, Arlo Guthrie and Debbie Harry are a few that I can remember off the top of my head.

Here's something that might make you sleep better or maybe not.

Oil~Boy 26's Avatar rebuilding in pain

OOOO BOY HaHa i always suspected that but didnt know untill now bert and ernie same sex marrig is next

That is fascinating that the Henson company made the decision to include such a volatile social problem in some versions.

+ Reply to Thread