+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacations in your youth.

Mother Superior

Default Vacations in your youth.

Do you have any trips you took as a child that you will always remember? I think mine would be South Carolina, we went camping and it rained almost every day. Also, they had water slides made out of a hard cement like substance... not good. It's a bitch finding that out when you can't go back

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Re: Vacations in your youth.

We went camping alot, and I never really appriciated it, now I never have the time. We were pretty poor so we never really traveled, but we had some awesome summers with good friends.

Chaotika's Avatar Fetish Bunny

My mom's sugar daddy took us to Maui when I was 13, and I had my 14th birthday there. My mom was a spooky chick, so I was raised wearing all black and avoiding the sun like the plague, but when we got to Hawaii, my mom said "Why not try to get a tan, honey? Everyone that leaves Hawaii comes back with a beautiful, golden tan". I never much liked the look of tans, but I figured, "why the hell not?" and slathered on this coconut smelling tanning oil and laid in the sun for a few hours.
    Not only did I *not* get a tan, I got 2nd degree burns all over my shoulders, and spent 7 of my 10 days in Hawaii with completely blistered, cracking, painful shoulders and upper-back. I still have the scars there to prove it, too :P
    Regardless of that mess, though, Hawaii was killer, and I hope someday I can afford to go there again... *le sigh* <3

disneyland..and universal studios..the one in anaheim ca..saw the delorian back to the future car and the clock tower used in the movie..aweeeeeeesome stuff..

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotika
    My mom's sugar daddy took us to Maui when I was 13, and I had my 14th birthday there. My mom was a spooky chick, so I was raised wearing all black and avoiding the sun like the plague, but when we got to Hawaii, my mom said "Why not try to get a tan, honey? Everyone that leaves Hawaii comes back with a beautiful, golden tan". I never much liked the look of tans, but I figured, "why the hell not?" and slathered on this coconut smelling tanning oil and laid in the sun for a few hours.
    Not only did I *not* get a tan, I got 2nd degree burns all over my shoulders, and spent 7 of my 10 days in Hawaii with completely blistered, cracking, painful shoulders and upper-back. I still have the scars there to prove it, too :P
    Regardless of that mess, though, Hawaii was killer, and I hope someday I can afford to go there again... *le sigh* <3
    I've always wanted to go to Hawaii but never been. I was really into horticulture and weird plants when I was like twelve and Hawaii has such cool plants.

A thing about a lot of the trips I took as a kid is that some of travel is wasted on a kid. A lot was more travel than vacation per se, but I enjoyed experiencing so much of the world. But I think some of it would be way more meaningful to me now. I liked what some of the crumbling old buildings looked like, but the history was not that compelling to me at that age.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    A thing about a lot of the trips I took as a kid is that some of travel is wasted on a kid. A lot was more travel than vacation per se, but I enjoyed experiencing so much of the world. But I think some of it would be way more meaningful to me now. I liked what some of the crumbling old buildings looked like, but the history was not that compelling to me at that age.

I guess that's good to hear....We never had the money to travel anywhere when I was a kid. I think camping was about the extent of our family outings. As an adult I travel a lot... and doesnt really bother me that I dont have any memories of it as a kid. As Amelia said, I'm not sure how much I would have gotten out of it. Except for Disney... I finally went there last year for the first time... it was fun but I would have loved it as a kid.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

I grew up going to myrtle beach south carolina for one week and camping for several weekends during the summer. They were quite fun.

After a good number of years of that my family got a time share in can-cun (a few years before mtv did spring break down there) we wound up paying less per year for the time share then we did on going to myrtle beach. (that didn't count airfaire but certainly made it affordable.) and now we have such a valuable week that we can trade the week in and exchange it for a different week (and they will usualy give us a bonus week free b/c of how valuable our week is) but we also exchanged it for places like the bahamas and florida and other places i can't think of.
    most people think we are rich but we just got lucky with the timing that now allows us to spend a fraction of the cost to go to some amazing locals.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

when i was a kid we were lucky cause my parents took my sister and i on the obligatory trip to florida and disneyworld, etc. that every kid wants to go on. those were some good times, i looooved universal studios. i also remember going to visit the amish country in PA which was pretty cool, and a trip to nortern maine, if that counts. hey, it was a 6 hour drive there and another 6 hrs back, that's gotta count, right? but yeah.... good times.

Quote Originally Posted by drewblood
    I guess that's good to hear....We never had the money to travel anywhere when I was a kid. I think camping was about the extent of our family outings. As an adult I travel a lot... and doesnt really bother me that I dont have any memories of it as a kid. As Amelia said, I'm not sure how much I would have gotten out of it. Except for Disney... I finally went there last year for the first time... it was fun but I would have loved it as a kid.
    I went to the Disney in Florida when I was like four. My only memory of it was becoming terrified on the ferris wheel and my dad being superman and making them stop the ride and reverse the wheel so I could get off. For many years after that, I believed that he could do anything.

I did a shoot on a ferris wheel this past month. It was fun. So I guess even Disney is something I probably would have appreciated more later

Seriously, I do think travel, especially world travel, is cool to do whenever, but probably more valuable as you get a little older and more sophisticated.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Seriously, I do think travel, especially world travel, is cool to do whenever, but probably more valuable as you get a little older and more sophisticated.
    I agree. With the exception of these damn strikes screwing up my class schedule. I love France. And I'm gonna see the Dropkick Murphys in Milan during the Easter Break.

+ Reply to Thread