+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you exceptionally interested in the world around you?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Are you exceptionally interested in the world around you?

Are you exceptionally or averagely interested in the world around you? If there are major events going on in various spheres, do you care, even if they do not impact you? Which spheres interest you most i.e. entertainment, politics, science, specific areas of those field like only country music sung by blondes or only study of possibilities of alien life etc.?

Default Re: Are you exceptionally interested in the world around you?

I'd probably say I'm slightly above average when it comes to being interested in the world around me. I do my best to keep up on current events by watching the local news and reading news aggregation websites like fark or slashdot. I tend to care about events that don't directly impact me the same way a four year old cares about soap operas...which is to say not a lot but they do make interesting reads occasionally .

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I'm below average.... way below. If it doesn't affect me, I don't really care. The only exception (because there always is one), natural disasters. But that's mostly just because it causes mass destruction and high death tolls. Then again, it's usually only to make fun of people that knew it was coming but were too stupid to get to a safe zone.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Very much so, at least in terms of the world and what's on it. Less bothered by the sci-fi-is-real brigades or the best way to cook squirrel, but the real sciences rule my bookshelves and TV schedules. Hell, I collect rocks - any more of a geek and I could start my own line of pocket protectors. Politics doesn't really bother me (I've never been anywhere long enough to care who won an election), but sociology and psychology are just plain fun - after all, I'm studying you right now, and learning a lot.

All of you.

Especially you.

Ingridsca1's Avatar Member

Oh I'm very interested in the world, although I am surrounded by ignorant asses that think that they are cool and can only relate to their own little, teeny, tiny, experiences. I listen to NPR and BBC daily and my favorite read is National Geographic. I also like to read up on the latest news online.

Bedlamite

In terms of News, I like to keep up with it, but not delve deeply, as it tends to weigh me down with disgust of the world. Entertainment was one of my favorite hobbies, but something in me changed as the saturation of every detail of a celeb's life became unavoidable. Its like I stopped watching the Oscars because I got bored by the 9000 awards shows that paced the way before it.

I still keep up with Science as much as I can, Academics, and History.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I'm interested in the people around me. I'm a people watcher. I love noticing little things they do because they don't think anyone sees them. As far as the world....Ehhhh. Most of the time, I can't personally change anything that's going on in it, so why be so interested.

As far as cultures and things...That interests me, but once again, it's like being a people watcher, on a bigger scale.

I'm very interested on a smaller scale. Which trees leaf out first in the spring. What it feels like before it rains. I would much rather understand the larger things than not, but they don't quite interest me in the same way.

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

VERY, at times.

What Effects the surounding Environments
    can reverbrabrate back Apoun ones Own life n' dailey pursuits,
    & people around them.

Default Are you exceptionally interested in the world around you

OK, I have been depressed for many years, and I keep it a secret because I dont want people around me or even friends on Facebook to know that I am depressed.

Why do people think you have big problems if you are depressed?
    I always love to talk to people who are depressed and I never look down on them. But in so many cultures, people will be scared of you if you are depressed. Remember that ANYONE can get depressed even the most educated people in the world.

Default Re: Are you exceptionally interested in the world around you

Quote Originally Posted by FreedOmFight
    OK, I have been depressed for many years, and I keep it a secret because I dont want people around me or even friends on Facebook to know that I am depressed.

Why do people think you have big problems if you are depressed?
    I always love to talk to people who are depressed and I never look down on them. But in so many cultures, people will be scared of you if you are depressed. Remember that ANYONE can get depressed even the most educated people in the world.

I am depressed as well, or rather have a manic depressive nature, my mood swings are insane ( for the ladies picture it as being on your peroid ALL the time).
    I always kept that part from my work mates, (it is easier to NOt explain things than it is too)
    Recently, I had to take a few weeks off from work because I was having a hard time with my depression and in general mental health. And so everyone found out about it. For me the worst part about that is, that i think people will look at me a little differently... kinda take pity on me and also judge ( but not in any consious way i am sure of that). But I think I would react the same way if it was happening to someone else.
    And so i find that i have to just focus on the positive things ( specially at work) and try to vent my negitivity somewhere else.
    That tends to be here normally hehe :p

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I like to stay informed, but I am well aware that my opinions and actions have very little effect on the big picture. All I can do to actively participate is to vote. I'm not going to spend my life spinning my wheels trying to change the course of the world, or our government. I think of ourselves as fleas on a giant dog. Some people are on the ears, or in sensitive areas. Those people are our leaders. So yes, some people in positions of power can affect what the dog does a little bit. But the rest of us are just along for the ride... But it's good to know what's going on, and keep an eye out, so if the dog heads for water, you can get ready to jump off...

and the porridge was just

im interested if there is something interesting going on.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

i'm surrounded by guntotin' rednecks who hate anything that's not white and annoying meth addicted trailer trash that are so stupid that a few have been found scauld to death trying to steal copper wire from water heaters not properly drained to score more meth.........

no. im not to interested in what's goin on around me to be frank because that's really the voting majority of this state and as long as they have genitalia, they'll stay that way.

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

I'd like to think im interested on whats going on around this world.
    I do my research, although i stay as far away from politics as possible.
    I bend with times.

+ Reply to Thread