+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who are your favorite authors who write about subculture people?

and your little dog too

Default Who are your favorite authors who write about subculture people?

I used to read a lot of genre fiction and I really liked it when writers like Poppy Z. Brite and William Gibson started putting people in cool clubs and such in their stories. Who are your favorite authors who write about subculture people?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Who are your favorite authors who write about subculture people?

Jay McInerney, William Gibson, Jay McInerney, Blake Nelson, Jay McInerney

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

I also like Francesca Lia Block.

Vaughn's Avatar Walking Sucker Punch...
    Remember that hole you dug in the yard that time?

Starts and ends with Mr. Mark Manning...aka Zodiac Mindwarp.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Gibson was good with using atmosphere as part of his overall story but pulp writers beat him to that a half century before. Before you had tech addicts, raver junkies, and neo patriots drinking in sordid watering holes you had Herion dealers, call girls, hitmen, and P.I.s hanging out in every dark corner of American cities from West to East. So I'd have to vote for guys like Thompson who captured that underworld best...even with them 6 feet under they hold up well.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    ....when writers like Poppy Z. Brite...
    She has a very interesting livejournal...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Gibson was good with using atmosphere as part of his overall story but pulp writers beat him to that a half century before. Before you had tech addicts, raver junkies, and neo patriots drinking in sordid watering holes you had Herion dealers, call girls, hitmen, and P.I.s hanging out in every dark corner of American cities from West to East. So I'd have to vote for guys like Thompson who captured that underworld best...even with them 6 feet under they hold up well.
    Ooh, I like the way you think. Jim Thompson, Raymond Chandler, yum yum yum. Never could get into Hammett though and always thought I should.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Ooh, I like the way you think. Jim Thompson, Raymond Chandler, yum yum yum. Never could get into Hammett though and always thought I should.
    Chandler makes one fall in love with L.A. the way one falls for that "bad girl momma said to avoid". James M. Cain (he penned Double Indemnity, The Posteman Always Rings Twice, Mildred Pierce) and Chandler was not a fan as he had the following to say...

"James Cain - faugh! Everything he touches smells like a billygoat. He is every kind of writer I detest, a faux naix, a Proust in greasy overalls, a dirty little boy with a piece of chalk and a board fence and nobody looking. Such people are the offal of literature, not because they write about dirty things, but because they do it in a dirty way."

If I can make my living writing in a dirty way...I'll die a happy man and buy em both a drink on the other side.

If Black Leather Times counts, I would say that my favorite would be Amelia G or Forrest Black.
    Also, Wild Judy seems pretty cool also.

and your little dog too

Also Amelia G and Jay McInerney of course.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

Poppy Z Brite is the best. Her site is awesome too. I swear food is her religion.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Jasperino
    Poppy Z Brite is the best. Her site is awesome too. I swear food is her religion.
    No kidding...I read her journal time to time and 90% of the time she's describing food. I've been meaning to read her latest work but it's low on my back catalog of stuff to read.

+ Reply to Thread