+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you know if you are an "anorexic?"

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Default How do you know if you are an "anorexic?"

Forgive me if I spelt that wrong...but really, how do you know if you are one, or if you're in denial.

A lot of people point their finger at me. At work they order pizza all the time, and I don't eat it.(When I was addicted to Oxy I wouldn't eat on purpose to enjoy my high a bit more) Anyways, Instead of pizza I'll eat granola instead (sometimes I'll pick a couple of mushrooms off a piece), or maybe go get a couple tacos from the Del Taco drive-thru.... Sometimes they don't see me eat anything, I don't always eat at work, I eat at home, on my way to work (a bagel) or at home after work...

On weekends I usually have lunch or dinner at a fancy restaurant, I usually pig out there. But yeah, on weekdays my diet pretty much consists of turkey, anything "fat free" and I don't drink anything that's not water or caffeinated Iced Tea (unless it's milk in my fiber cereal)

Anyways, does this make me an anorexic? I do feel hungry often & lazy and uncraving greasy burgers from a drive-thru, but I'm surely not starving myself... I am about 6" and weight fluxuates from 116-123lbs, totally underweight for a guy but I like it

P.S.Also, I don't know how to cook and I live on my own

Filthy_Victorian's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: How do you know if you are an "anorexic?"

i dont think you are anorexic iv been wndering about this myself because i eat maybe one meal a day and alone only i dont like eating in front of people and when i do eat i think im full straight away its strange i think you need to organize when you eat set meal times and that may help

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

This: you're an anorexic if you don't eat, and though you're skeletal, look in the mirror and see someone fat.

You're skinny, but I don't think you're anorexic, yet, based on your self-admission that you do in fact eat.

I'm 6'3" and weigh 140. I eat constantly but my metabolism just burns it faster than it can go anywhere (so the doctor says why I can't really gain anything), so maybe it's that?

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    I'm 6'3" and weigh 140. I eat constantly but my metabolism just burns it faster than it can go anywhere (so the doctor says why I can't really gain anything), so maybe it's that?
    I'm the same way. When I was pregnant 2 years ago, I only got up to 130 by the time I went into labor, and left the hospital at 115. Since then, I've lost more weight, but all I do is eat. And I only weigh about 102 lbs now a days.

You would be anorexic if you're were constantly obsessing over your food, consciously keeping track, feeling guilty if you ate something you don't think you should have and now you'll be fatter, hiding food people gave you so they think you ate it, and of course, were constantly thinking about your weight, obsessively, and believing you still need to loose more weight.

I think you're clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    This: you're an anorexic if you don't eat, and though you're skeletal, look in the mirror and see someone fat.

You're skinny, but I don't think you're anorexic, yet, based on your self-admission that you do in fact eat.
    How would anorexics be alive if they didn't eat? =/ They just don't eat as much as they should.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Anorexics sometimes take vitamins to maintain bodily functions.
    I have to say, if after you eat you make yourself vomit (or purging), then you are classed as a bulemic. If you don't, but are concerned about your weight (or lack of it, whichever way you want to look at it), it might be worth having a word with a doctor, or maybe just think of adding some "fattening" foods to your diet.

I'd say you're under weight but I don't know your body frame or anything to go on that. Alot of people are but the step between just not eating alot and being anorexic is a psychological one.

If you know you're under weight and don't constantly look at yourself and think you're fat I think you're okay. Like BSD says though a doctor is probably best if you feel concerned.

Just be worried about protetin starvation as well. If your eating nothing but super lean foods high in protein (no carbs, fats etc) your body will have no energy to keep it running. There are 3,500 calories in a pound of fat but only a few hundred in a pound of muscle. If you deny yourself energy it needs to live your body will begin to eat itself.

First your large muscles will go, then your joints. Then when it gets real bad your body will be forced to start eating its heart, organ casings and more.

You really need to be careful there. Anorexics starve themselves to get as thin as possible but in the end you do terrible damage to your organs, brain and body functions. If you're bulemic the incredily powerful acids in your stomach will start to dissolve your esophagus, destroy your teeth/gums and you're then very prone to getting stomach ulcers/cysts and getting holes in your throat.

One of my family members has been bulemic for years and years and will never get help. Her teeth/gums ended up rotting out so she has to wear fake teeth and her throat has a small hole in it that makes swalowing painful.

Please be careful Thistle.

Thanks sooo much guys! I've been really thinking about what classifies one as "anorexic" but also I've been depressed the past few days over work-related stressed that's made me feel like not eating. But I do love food and I don't keep track of calories or anything like that. I don't even weigh myself (I used to everyday when I was doing cardio but have ceased and therefore stopped checking my weight, cuz it doesn't matter)

When I look in the mirror I see really skinny and untoned, not fat, just untoned. I've been told by personal trainers that I can easily get a nice little toned up body ie. arms, chest, tummy...by working out 30 min. a day for 3-4x's a weeks and doing that protein shakes.

Here's a pic I took today

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    Forgive me if I spelt that wrong...but really, how do you know if you are one, or if you're in denial.

A lot of people point their finger at me. At work they order pizza all the time, and I don't eat it.(When I was addicted to Oxy I wouldn't eat on purpose to enjoy my high a bit more) Anyways, Instead of pizza I'll eat granola instead (sometimes I'll pick a couple of mushrooms off a piece), or maybe go get a couple tacos from the Del Taco drive-thru.... Sometimes they don't see me eat anything, I don't always eat at work, I eat at home, on my way to work (a bagel) or at home after work...

On weekends I usually have lunch or dinner at a fancy restaurant, I usually pig out there. But yeah, on weekdays my diet pretty much consists of turkey, anything "fat free" and I don't drink anything that's not water or caffeinated Iced Tea (unless it's milk in my fiber cereal)

Anyways, does this make me an anorexic? I do feel hungry often & lazy and uncraving greasy burgers from a drive-thru, but I'm surely not starving myself... I am about 6" and weight fluxuates from 116-123lbs, totally underweight for a guy but I like it

P.S.Also, I don't know how to cook and I live on my own
    There is a common misconception with opiates....
    EATING makes the high better, the more nutrition your body has, the more the opiates have to grab on... I dont know what you do now, if you do methadone... it has the same effect.

Trust me. I know.
    Continual pain pill addiction will assist weight gain. But the up and down of having then withdrawal will eventually lead to weight loss.

One way a person gains weight with opiates (synthetic or otherwise)
    will cause a person to gain whats called "narcotic edema"

Each cell in ones body... where a bit of water is stored, increases...
    Causing the body to retain more water, thats ONE reason when the body doesnt have its consistent supply, it seems like the body tries to get rid of every but of water possible.

TH, if you ever have any questions, that you would like to ask, one on one, let me know.
    Do you have chronic pain, or just like the 'glow'? I dont judge, just curious.
    I respect your right not to answer any of these questions,
    but if you'd like to talk in a bit more private forum/manner... theres always private messages and emails.
    I know of all kinds of extenders.... and dietary aids.

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    Thanks sooo much guys! I've been really thinking about what classifies one as "anorexic" but also I've been depressed the past few days over work-related stressed that's made me feel like not eating. But I do love food and I don't keep track of calories or anything like that. I don't even weigh myself (I used to everyday when I was doing cardio but have ceased and therefore stopped checking my weight, cuz it doesn't matter)

When I look in the mirror I see really skinny and untoned, not fat, just untoned. I've been told by personal trainers that I can easily get a nice little toned up body ie. arms, chest, tummy...by working out 30 min. a day for 3-4x's a weeks and doing that protein shakes.

Here's a pic I took today
    I had a friend who was anorexic. She honestly was convinced that she was fat, even as she got skinnier and skinnier. She was living in an alternate reality when it came to her body, and she eventually wound up in the hospital. It sounds like your relationship with food might be a little different than that of some people, but as long as you're healthy and not skipping meals to trim down your already quite trim body, I wouldn't worry. Don't let the opinions of people who aren't really taking the time to know you make you paranoid.

Thanks batzilla

really wish I had my mothers home cooked meals EVERY day... ::sigh:: That would be nice

Eating Subway to lose weight is nice..but eating it every day for two years gets boring...

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    I'd say you're under weight but I don't know your body frame or anything to go on that. Alot of people are but the step between just not eating alot and being anorexic is a psychological one.

If you know you're under weight and don't constantly look at yourself and think you're fat I think you're okay. Like BSD says though a doctor is probably best if you feel concerned.

Just be worried about protetin starvation as well. If your eating nothing but super lean foods high in protein (no carbs, fats etc) your body will have no energy to keep it running. There are 3,500 calories in a pound of fat but only a few hundred in a pound of muscle. If you deny yourself energy it needs to live your body will begin to eat itself.

Please be careful Thistle.
    Thanks for your info! I appreciate it, can't wait for my jalapeno bagel tomorrow morning (don't want my body to eat itself..yuk!)

+ Reply to Thread