+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you censor yourself more or less since using the web?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you censor yourself more or less since using the web?

Do you censor yourself more or less since using the web? Do you find that you used to journal or do other very open things online and do them more or less now? Do you find that the existence of the internet allows you to speak your mind more often or makes you bite your tongue more often or some combo of the two?

Default Re: Do you censor yourself more or less since using the web?

When I first got online I was extra-ordinarily volatile, but after my online nemesis was destroyed, I shed the old online identity and am now much more milder. It made things like boards more fun.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

I've gotten much more outspoken (read: douchy), kinder, (read: subversive), and an all around nice person! (read: lyin' outta my ass)

>_>

Just... just ignore the bracketed parts, and you'll be fine.

The internet was escapism first. Then I became an immature little bag of douche when I was younger. Now that I'm older and have calmed down/gained net etiquette....hmmm..

Yeah a lot less censored on the web still. Alot more calmed down then when I was younger but thats mostly because of jobs looming on the horizon/extreme paranoia.

Bedlamite

I feel like I'm a bit nicer on the aetherweb myself. I have time for the tip of my temper not to lash itself, or the tone of my voice is less mistaken as anything of interest, whereas in person, my commentary is often taken as dry, sarcastic, and morbid.

Most of the difference I find is that people don't understand why something upsets me. 'Its just the internet' and virtual head tilting happens if something crosses my line. I suppose alot of people are less connected to what is going on around them, or feel more isolated in the land of the internet.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well the good thing about the internet is that you don't really have those awkward moments. if someone says something that you don't want to hear or otherwise are uninterested in you can just click out of the page, it's a little bit more difficult to diffuse the situation in real life. that is of course assuming that you are a non-confrontational person that doesn't speak your mind and likes to avoid making a scene in public. Otherwise, I guess you can just tell someone how full of shit they are.

I say a few things that people might not agree with, and I may say a thing that is offensive, but I'd like to think that i don't make statements that try to stop discourse. If I disagree with someone I don't just say "you are stupid and go away" I tell them why I don't agree and try to get some kind of understanding, at least agreeing to disagree.

Of course online I meet a lot more varied people and varied topics for conversation, and the browsing phenomenon I explained before, means that I almost always have a lot more outlets to be outspoken about then with the people I know.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I am more outspoken but at the same time I try and keep my back guarded. Employers tend to be worse than the CIA when it comes to online. These days you have to be careful what you say and do. A person is no longer anonymous when it comes to the net. Sharing one's views can be a bad thing since now an online presence is as important as what is done in the outside world.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I find that I write things and refrain from posting them all the time. I think it has to do with the tendency towards categorization. We seem to be put in little positional boxes and certain thoughts seem to go against the team. It's like Forrest could say that, but a photographer shouldn't, and so if I say them, my good friends tend to agree with me, but I alienate people who for whatever reason thought they were in the same box as I am. It becomes very political in that there are some truths that you can't utter without paying the price. It's hard to choose your battles in this realm.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I refrain more and more. I believe I now have an ethical duty to use this device in a more responsible manner. It has its strengths and weaknesses. I believe the chances of misunderstandings and frivolous quarrels are high and should be taken into account. I don't believe it is my duty to set people straight or reach consensus or agreement. I also don't believe there is such a thing as objective debate without an arbiter. I enjoy discussing and even disagreeing on a wide range of issues, I do believe there is a limit as to how far you want to take it. The "wild west" days on the internet are over even from a legal standpoint. I believe they should be. I find it more conducive to my happiness to concentrate on that which brings joy rather than to be vigilant in areas of frustration.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I censor everywhere except in my own brain

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I hold back or refrain, out of respect people on this forum. People on here have show me some type civil debate, I try to do the same no matter the issue might be. I try to treat people as I would in realty, being chat room or forum.

I'll test the water in the chat room or forum to see how others react. It gives me boarders to stay in much like Forrest thought box. I do not post everything, or I try to word where it does not offend. Really is hard to choose your battles, but it is rather fun like that. OEC There is common ground on every issue political or otherwise that people can come to agreement. I try to do that, there is some level 2 people with different views can....

+ Reply to Thread