+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kink's Peter Acworth Speaks at The Economist Innovation Summit

Default Kink's Peter Acworth Speaks at The Economist Innovation Summit

[google]77[/google]

I tend to read The Economist whenever I fly. It is usually available in airports and I find its coverage of pretty much everything that matters, with a particular focus on the economic impact of current events, to be thorough, interesting, and intelligent. The Economist recently held a summit in Berkeley, at the Haas School of Business, called
    Read the full article

Default Re: Kink's Peter Acworth Speaks at The Economist Innovation Summit

Meh, loaded rhetoric. 'Stealing' implies taking something away from someone, which copyright infringement does not.

Capitalism had no business in humanity's intellectual/creative progress. It does not benefit from being made into a market, and people jealously guarding their 'right' to deny one another benefits that cost absolutely nothing extra to share is just horribly twisted ethics.

I can dig rational self-interest, even material greed used to motivate productivity. But people do have other motivations and mechanisms for reward, and trying to replace each of them with money makes the world a less fun place to live in. Let people create out of love for their visions. They will, and generally do a better job of it too. The economy will just have to suck it up - it shouldn't have gone there in the first place, and if it's going to create a mess when forced to leave we have only it to blame.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Kink's Peter Acworth Speaks at The Economist Innovation Summit

I found out recently how hard it can be to vindicate one's i.p. rights. In many instances, you would have to file in federal district court. It seems absurd in instances of trademark infringement in particular. Frankly, the publicity that accrues the losers outweighed trying to even recover the costs of filing in that instance.

+ Reply to Thread