+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy 4th of July

Default Happy 4th of July

In the early days of American history, the founding fathers were a little fuzzy about which day of the first week in July they wanted to celebrate American independence. In 1778, General George Washington, the first president of the United States,...
    Read the full article

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Happy 4th of July

On the Second of July:

Today we celebrate the greatest day in our national history. Sound ridiculous? Not to John Adams, who in 1776 wrote to his wife, Abigail: "The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. . . . It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfire and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States of America

At least he got the pomp and parade part right.

OEC

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

The funny thing is, George Washington wasn't even American! He was from the North East of England. Washington Old Town is widely known as the place of his birth.

Yet now, no-one that was not born in the USA can not become President.
    Makes me laugh.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    On the Second of July:

Today we celebrate the greatest day in our national history. Sound ridiculous? Not to John Adams, who in 1776 wrote to his wife, Abigail: "The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. . . . It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfire and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States of America

At least he got the pomp and parade part right.

OEC

I'm not 100% on my founding fathers slang, but I think the illuminations may be fireworks, so that makes three. Are there no important sports games played today? I'm probably thinking of Thanksgiving on the latter. I want to know what a shew is now. OEC? Anybody?

as i understand it, shew is show
    John was saying that you should attend (or put on) shows.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I vote we celebrate anarchy and the end times.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I'm not 100% on my founding fathers slang, but I think the illuminations may be fireworks, so that makes three. Are there no important sports games played today? I'm probably thinking of Thanksgiving on the latter. I want to know what a shew is now. OEC? Anybody?
    I think shew is just a variation of "show".

Had a great 4th out here. Saw Dillinger 4
    at the Triple Rock (awesome p-rock club they started here). It took about 5 seconds after Paddie lit up for the entire club to break the smoking ban. Best cigarette I've had in awhile Some good Helms jokes as well. New album in the works. Beat the shit out of the usual 4th faire. I'll go any year I'm in Minneapolis until we all drop dead. I think the founders may have liked our ways better actually.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread