+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shamrocks and Leprechauns and Green Beer

Default Shamrocks and Leprechauns and Green Beer

As a holiday, St Patrick's Day has dubious origins but fabulous iconography.

Although the holiday tends to serve as both an expression of Irish pride and an excuse to get thoroughly blotto (Hi Funkatron), the origins of Saint Paddy's are neither in drunkenness...
    Read the full article

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Shamrocks and Leprechauns and Green Beer

I had a great time. Saw a few irish bands at First Ave (Prince's venue still basically identical to his film). Then, we managed to get into The Raveonettes (despite being told it was soldout). I don't honestly know how it is interpreted vis a vis the struggle in Northern Island these days. It seemed to be more just an appreciation of some great music (and copious amounts of ale)

Tartan Day (Scotland) is April 6. I'll write more about this as the day approaches.

OEC

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

And I only had one drink!

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Remember the filking tranny in Trekkies? *shudder*

cate's Avatar Junior Member

Cool, interesting article. Spent the evening with Flogging Molly ( a band consisting of one Irishman and a bunch of Brits mind you). Hmmmm....funny I wore my black and blue bustier (sp?) to the show - no green. Tartan day...I'd really like to know more about that....nothing like a man in a skirt

Quote Originally Posted by cate
    Cool, interesting article. Spent the evening with Flogging Molly ( a band consisting of one Irishman and a bunch of Brits mind you). Hmmmm....funny I wore my black and blue bustier (sp?) to the show - no green. Tartan day...I'd really like to know more about that....nothing like a man in a skirt
    Here's the Original Declaration from 1320:

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotlan...h_english.html

You'll have to excuse the religious fairy tales. This was basically a petition for independence. I'm intending to draw up a new petition as a bit of a parody. I finally traced the scottish part of my family. The results were interesting. Name derives from norse. I'm looking for a derivative kilt to my liking. You have the standard clan kilts, but I've found a lot of mixing and matching amongst clans by geography as well.

http://www.borderreivers.com

Southern Scots who kept up the good fight for years. My maternal grandfather's family (I'm primarily ukrainian) was amongst them. I'll definitely take some photos. I have no doubt Tartan Day is celebrated in Tempe also. I think we can make this holiday a bit more fun, however. It only has a 10 year pedigree as "official" in the U.S. It's ours to fetishize and warp imo I'll post more later. You can also message me any questions you may have on it. I believe secession will occur by about 2017. My preference is 2020 for obvious reasons.

If anyone is interested in tracing scottish geneaology, they can also message me. This is a bit of a new hobby.

OEC

PS: if anyone sees HT kilts on Tartan Day, you are morally entitled to remove their anus.

Correction: http://www.reivers.com is the site
    also see: http://www.borderreivers.co.uk

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

The Border Reivers were in Northumberland, which is the area I'm from. Makes sense that the area is known for it's violent past, when you try to go out for a quiet drink at the weekend in the city centre.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    I had a great time. Saw a few irish bands at First Ave ...
    OEC
    I really like First Ave as a venue. I've seen a few good shows there, although it's been a few years. We really should get up that way sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I really like First Ave as a venue. I've seen a few good shows there, although it's been a few years. We really should get up that way sometime.
    You're welcome anytime. Would love to see you guys. Be happy to offer or help arrange lodging and logistics. There definitely is something special about that place.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread