+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you think marijuana should be legal?

Default Do you think marijuana should be legal?

As America gets ready to vote tomorrow, among the many ballot measures, one of the most bafflingly controversial referendums is California's Prop 19. Proposition 19 would make marijuana legal and taxed in the state of California.
    Read the full article

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Do you think marijuana should be legal?

You've never smoked pot? ever? Like I've said before, legalize it sure, but license the users

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    You've never smoked pot? ever? Like I've said before, legalize it sure, but license the users
    That just sounds like the prescription system we have today. I also think that licensing has a bad history when it comes to marijuana. They could do the whole marijuana stamp act thing all over again. Long Beach is cracking down on Critical Mass bike protests by requiring bicycles to be registered/licensed and they just happen to be out of stickers so now they get to impound unlicensed bikes whenever they feel the urge. I wouldn't want a license to drink or eat sugary carb-heavy donuts either. A license is just a Government list with a switch for them to take away your legal right on an individual basis. I don't think that is a good solution unless maybe you are talking about large scale public safety issues.

4. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForrestBlack For This Useful Post:

BiggTruxx (11-24-2010), Raza (11-02-2010)

Nice article, Amelia!

Legal? Absolutely.

But stay clear of those prop lattes! They'll kill ya.

Clearly, yes.

It's not even a question that merits polls and debates, really. The habit of banning crap like this is ridiculous start-to-finish. Licences would still be giving the issue massively more credibility than it warrants, and probably be invented more to soothe drug- and general change-o-phobes than serve any practical purpose worth mentioning.

licensing drug users is no big deal........it's just a safety thing.

when I become overlord of the planet one of my slogans will be "Have fun..............we control so you don't have to"

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Keep your government out of my bong!

Gotta side with the Tea Baggers and Internetarians on this one- Do we really need one more thing for the government to control and tax?

I don't think so. And I don't really want more people smoking pot for that matter. Weed culture is one of the dumbest things ever and most people that smoke it are idiots. If you believe otherwise than you are ignorant or high.

And don't give me that medical use crap. The medical benefits can all be provided for by other things. The only real benefit that pot has is the one that no one on the campaign wants to talk about: it makes you high. It's not really a surprise that taking something that makes you feel good is going to help sick people. But no one wants to say that they are pushing for getting people high because then they'd have to admit that is what the whole legalization issue is really about and the sick are just a way to get it through the door.

By all means decriminalize it. I'm totally for Less police intimation and disruption of communities all across the board. I don't think that anyone ever again needs to be arrested for smoking pot and it's a simple as that.

But I don't want to waste anymore time and resources on a political campaign for an issue that is of relevance about a notch below whether puppies or kitties are cuter.

9. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Morning Glory For This Useful Post:

BiggTruxx (11-24-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    *** is no big deal........it's just a safety thing.
    Thank you for clearing that up, mr overlord.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    And don't give me that medical use crap. The medical benefits can all be provided for by other things.
    Not true. A friend of mine has Sickle Cell Anemia, and he gets pain relief from pot.
    If he can't use medical marijuana, his only other option is Dilaudid. Which is a
    seriously hardcore narcotic. That's what he used to use on a daily basis before
    medical MJ became legal in CA. He's not a recreational drug user at all, and did
    not want to be addicted to opiates. So he can get his pain relief from something
    that is non-addictive, and much less physically and mentally harmful...

And yes, it should be legal.

The bottom line is that you can't control what people do to their own bodies.
    It's just not possible. It's like outlawing sex, or masturbation, cutting, or suicide.
    You can't stop people from injecting substances to get high. If they want to do it,
    they are going to do it. If someone wants to step off a bridge, you can't stop them.

It's a personal choice...

My belief is that you should make laws against the actions that hurt OTHERS.
    Like DUI. You can get high at home, but don't drive. You can do heroin,
    but don't steal from other people to fuel your habit. I would prefer that
    cops bust people for the crimes they commit against others, not
    crimes they commit against themselves. Let people be free to
    do what they want to do to themselves. Focus on fighting crimes
    against other people. Robbery, murder, burglary, etc. If the cops
    weren't wasting time fighting drugs, they could spend more time
    protecting people from actual crimes.

Another reason:

14. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to TheDeathKnight For This Useful Post:

BiggTruxx (11-24-2010)
    aXa's Avatar Senior Member

while i have had my share of personal abuse issues with pot in the past, i think it should be legal for the most part. however, i think its use should be restricted in some ways, like a combination of what is done for tobacco and alcohol. limit it to users over a certain age - i recall studies that have shown that it affects certain aspects of development - like to around the age at which people graduate high school. and restrict its usage for driver's as it has been shown to impair reaction time and coordination somewhat.

I'm all for legalizing it...............the industry I'm in would profit

Ibeus's Avatar Junior Member

Yes. And the other drugs, too.

Kittys_Jewelry's Avatar Junior Member

In a word, yes.
    More damage has been done with booze than pot, anyway!

Register666's Avatar The Hunted

Was nur hätte Samuel zu alle dem wohl gesagt? ...Well! Damn YES! Legalize it and all the other things - We don't need any Laws or Systems! Think about my words brothers and sisters: We are Free and We have just THIS life so EVERYONE should ONLY do what he or her really wants!!! So, Fuck all Systems! We don't need this shit!!!

20. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Register666 For This Useful Post:

Raza (11-24-2010)
    Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

It's simple. Throw away everything about the medical aspects. Not that I think that there is no merit to it, but really alcohol can show medical benefits too, if you really try hard enough. The fact is, if alcohol is legal, then there should be no reason, whatsoever, that pot should be illegal. It blows my mind that there are still so strong of beliefs against it, when it comes to pot. I've seen ALOT of lives destroyed due to alcoholism. The only thing I've seen with pot is people can waste their lives doing it. The most blown out of proportion reason I've seen for keeping it illegal is that pot is a "gateway" drug. I've heard this my whole life. Yeah? Really? Well, do people realize the alcohol is also a drug and could also be seen as a "gateway" drug? Why not? I've known plenty of people that went from drinking booze, right to having a big time habit of snorting coke....With no stops in between for smoking pot.

22. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax Knucklebones For This Useful Post:

BiggTruxx (11-24-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight View Post
    Not true. A friend of mine has Sickle Cell Anemia, and he gets pain relief from pot.
    If he can't use medical marijuana, his only other option is Dilaudid. Which is a
    seriously hardcore narcotic. That's what he used to use on a daily basis before
    medical MJ became legal in CA. He's not a recreational drug user at all, and did
    not want to be addicted to opiates. So he can get his pain relief from something
    that is non-addictive, and much less physically and mentally harmful...
    Dilaudid is HORRIBLE. I'm so sorry for your friend. But for the record, he is one of exactly 2% of people in CA who get MJ for a real disease such as AIDS or Cancer. The other 98% get it for "back pain, migraines, insomnia, etc." Also, 70% of medical users in CA are under the age of 40. Yeah, cause MILLIONS of people under 40 have "back pain." Even if legalized as medicine, it is still illegal for everyone else. The "doctors" who write the scripts for people who don't need it are no better than old-time croakers who gave up papers for dilaudid and other pain meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Register666 View Post
    Was nur hätte Samuel zu alle dem wohl gesagt? ...Well! Damn YES! Legalize it and all the other things - We don't need any Laws or Systems! Think about my words brothers and sisters: We are Free and We have just THIS life so EVERYONE should ONLY do what he or her really wants!!! So, Fuck all Systems! We don't need this shit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BiggTruxx View Post
    Dilaudid is HORRIBLE. I'm so sorry for your friend. But for the record, he is one of exactly 2% of people in CA who get MJ for a real disease such as AIDS or Cancer. The other 98% get it for "back pain, migraines, insomnia, etc." Also, 70% of medical users in CA are under the age of 40. Yeah, cause MILLIONS of people under 40 have "back pain." Even if legalized as medicine, it is still illegal for everyone else. The "doctors" who write the scripts for people who don't need it are no better than old-time croakers who gave up papers for dilaudid and other pain meds.
    Migraines are pretty real, from what I can tell. Why shouldn't people get pot for that, if it helps?

With the damage of smoking pot approximating zero, I'd say better a hundred healthy people getting stoned than one dude with a mild headache having an unnecessarily bad day. Nothing wrong with what those doctors are doing.

smoking pot isn't that healthy.....it's fun, but it'l take a toll

Fair enough. What I mean is that outsiders have no reason to want people to not smoke pot. The individuals themselves have pros and cons to weight, but if they decide that the balance is desirable then there is no net loss for society.

wich is why legalizing and licensing is the only way to go............that way everyones dietary choices are open to the public and with a quick check anyone can choose who they do what with

+ Reply to Thread