+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blue Blood exhibiting at Comic Con

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Blue Blood exhibiting at Comic Con

I'm going to post an actual feature about this later, but I just wanted to let everyone know that Blue Blood will once again this year be exhibiting in Booth #433 at the Comic Con sponsored by the nice folks from X-Sanguin.

We'll be promoting the now officially launched BlueBlood.com megasite and the Blue Blood Boutique.

You can read the article from this time last summer at this link now.

Will you be at the show? Do you like comic book conventions in general?

Default Re: Blue Blood exhibiting at Comic Con

People watching will be outstanding I'm sure. That's should be fun, congrats!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

look forward to seeing you guys there again!

That being said, this brings to mind a topic that I've been thinking about recently. In my opinion I don't really see what adult entertainment has to do with science fiction and fantasy. while I can understand that there are certain artistic aspects that are perfectly valid for that forum and that I have no objection at all to, I think the question still stands. Mainly what I am opposed to are the use of models for advertsing purposes at this event. Let's be straight here, we all know that the average guy that is into comic books scifi/etc. is not going to exactly be a ladies magnet, and I think the use of scantily clad ladies to sell products is exploitative because it plays off this fact and is degrading to both parties. Often the models are just local girls that are being paid and really don't have any desire to be there outside of a job.

Don't get me wrong, if anyone wants wear a risque` costume for the event, I'm not saying that they should go as a nun. I have no problem at all with that from a fan. but the keyword is a fan that is actually going there to be a part of the community. I know that sex sells, but I don't really think that it is right to make the focus on that because it takes away from the visual artists and writing talents that are exhibiting thier hard work.

I'm not trying to diss on you guys or anyone on here, I've always felt that the work on blueblood sites is tasteful and artistic and not, as opposed to many many others, trashy. plus, having the oppurunity to talk to many of the models on this board, we get to see them as real people with real lives, not just a picture on screen or a girl in a bikini hawking merchandise.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

oh yeah, and also there are a lot of non-adults there. Won't someone please think of the children!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Speaking only for myself, not for anyone else who might have booth babes, Blue Blood really came out of the East Coast fandom circuit. The fandom and punk and fetish scenes were all very intertwined in that area, especially the mid-Atlantic.

I've had the privilege of being able to publish tons of the biggest name creative people from the world of fandom, so Blue Blood definitely belongs there, whether or not all the hotties there do belong. James O'Barr and Ed Mironiuk have done T-shirts for Blue Blood. Other artists who have worked with Blue Blood include Tim Bradstreet and Chad Michael Ward and Carlos Batts. Blue Blood writers over the years have included Shariann Lewitt, John Shirley, Andrew Greenberg, William Spencer-Hale, Poppy Z. Brite, Nancy A. Collins, the list goes on.

If you are into comic books, RPGs, genre novels, or genre movies, someone who worked on one of your favorite probably worked on Blue Blood at some point in time.

Hey, and Locus once called my writing "poignant" so I must have my proper fandom license just for that.

Those who have, ahem, paying memberships to BlueBlood.com will be seeing more and more of that type of work appearing now that the site is officially launched.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Besides, the con is also about books, and magazines, which often incorporate exactly these kind of girls, as part of the content. Not to mention that the X-Sanguin booth is not about comic books either. It's a booth to promote a party that happens on Saturday night, outside of the Con, which is vampire themed. http://www.freaksnightout.com/ So again, BlueBlood fits right in with that party, etc... So I don't see a problem with it. As long as comic book vendors and artists still have space to show their stuff, I have no problem with other things being there. I like looking at all the other random art, toys, model kits, etc... The more cool stuff, the better. And booth babes don't hurt. It eases the pain of all the sweaty nerds in sweatpants...

+ Reply to Thread